The Kuala Kedah Fort or Kuala Bahang fort is situated at the northern shore of the Kedah river. It was built as as a protection for the state of Kedah and its capital, Alor Star. The fort was built in 1771 during Sultan Muhammad Jiwa’s reign and was completed in 1780. The design of the fort was done by Hafiz Sab, who was then hiding the post of Dato’ Maharaja Kadhi. Other designers were brought in from India. Gateway was built in the northern part of the fort facing Alor Melaka which was called “Pintu Gerbang Kadapun” (The Kadapun Gateway). The fort has survived attacks by the Bugis, Achechnese and the Siamese. In 1909, when Kedah was officially under British rule, a few government offices was built within the vicinity of the fort, including a lighthouse. A new gateway was built which exists to this day.